CONSTRUCTION OF THE PALACE
In 1697, Italian architect Domenico Egidio Rossi had begun planning and building a hunting lodge for Margrave Ludwig Wilhelm. In 1700, there was a change of plans: The building should now become a new residential palace. Parts of the central structure was dismantled and replaced with a new, wider structure. Rossi situated the palace slightly above the town, which was possible because of the natural fall between the high and low floodplain terraces common throughout the entire region.